Learn how to:
- Identify documents that can be in a form of attachments that do not need review or approval
- Add documents/files as attachments
- Relate these attachments to properties or documents
Outcomes and Prerequisites
Section 1: Adding attachments into the system
The Document Attachment class is intended for filing external documents that are not controlled by the organisation and where internal review and approval is not required. Permissions for allowing the use of this class are restricted.
Step 1.1 – Adding an attachment as a stand-alone file – Responsible Person
Attachments can only be added and managed by a user who belongs to the Uncontrolled Attachments user group.
Attachments can be added in SimplerQMS as a stand-alone document or related to any other record in the system.
To add an attachment into SimplerQMS, grab a file from your local drive, drag the file over the “Checked Out to Me” box and release.
A metadata card will pop up.
Step 1.2 – Fill out metadata card for the Attachment
Fill out the metadata card: required fields are marked with asterisk (*)
Most fields are automatically filled with the information of the initiator; however, changes can still be applied.
Step 1.3 – File the attachment
After filling out the metadata card, click on Create.
The state of the attachment should be Filed and the document that has been dragged should automatically convert to PDF.
To verify that the file has been filed correctly, open the PDF file.
A blue watermark should be present on the left side of your document, indicating the document type, a unique ID, and the date when the document was filed.
NOTE 1: Any type of file (such as Word, Excel, PDF, PowerPoint, pictures etc.) can be added as an attachment. The file will automatically be converted to PDF after clicking create.
NOTE 2: The document attachment’s metadata should not be editable once it is on the Filed state. When update to the attachment is necessary, the responsible person can route it for updates.
Section 2: Adding attachments with Relations – Responsible Person
Attachments in SimplerQMS can also be related to suppliers and equipment, other documents, persons, or projects. These attachments will be connected to the selected relations without any approvals involved.
- Drag and drop the attachment into the “Checked Out to Me” box and fill out the metadata card
- In the Relations section, select either Supplier or Equipment, another field for supplier or equipment will be available where you can indicate the exact relation
- Click on Create – the attachment will be converted into PDF
4. Expand the attachment using the little grey arrow on its left side and view the connected supplier/ equipment.
a. Alternatively, go to the supplier’s/equipment views and the attachment should be connected to the supplier/equipment.
Step 2.2: Add attachments related to a document.
- Drag and drop the attachment to the “Checked Out to Me” box and fill out the metadata card.
- In the Relations section, select Related to a Document.
- A list of documents in any state will be available as an option in the document field. Select the document you wish you relate the attachment to.
4. Click on Create- the attachment will be converted into PDF.
Locate the document selected from the relations, to confirm that the attachment is now connected.
Step 2.3: Add attachments to a Project
- Drag and drop the attachment to the “Checked Out to me” box and fill out the metadata card
- In the Relations section, select Related to a Project, and select the project from the list in the Project field
3. Click on Create – the attachment will be converted into PDF
NOTE: When you relate an attachment to a Project, the attachment will only be visible to users who have access rights to the Project. To learn about project access rights, refer to Work Instructions: Managing Projects or Managing Masterdata
For users with access to the Project, go to Projects view. Here, click on the relevant view based on how you would like to navigate this area. The document attachment should now be connected.
Section 3: Route Document Attachment for Updates – Responsible Person
When an update is necessary for a document attachment, the responsible person has the option to Route for Updates by clicking the button under State Transition.
- Select the document attachment, under State Transition click on Route for Updates.
- The metadata becomes editable, and the attachment goes back to a Word file.
- The attachment can be modified as the responsible wishes from changing the information in the metadata up to changing the actual attachment to another file
2. When all the necessary updates have been completed, the responsible person can send the attachment back to filing by clicking Send for Filing under State Transition.
The attachment is converted to PDF once again and the metadata is no longer editable.
Section 4: Not Current – Archive attachment – Responsible Person
When the attachment needs to be archived, the responsible person of the attachment can carry out the action.
- Locate the attachment to archive
- Under State Transition, click on Not Current – Archive
Once the attachment has been archived, the metadata can no longer be edited, and no further actions can be taken.