This issue can be related to Antivirus-software such as Windows Defender. This is the M-Files Support article describing the problems: https://m-files.force.com/s/article/MFStatus-exe-is-not-running
To immediately fix this you can do one of the following things:
1. Right-click the M-Files icon in the task bar/notification area, click “Show Status”:
2. Or Restart the computer
To permanently try to fix this issue, do the following:
1. Search for “virus” in the Windows search bar and click Virus & threat protection:
2. Go to the section Virus & threat protection settings and click Manage settings:
3. Go to the bottom and look for the Section “Exclusions”. Click Add or remove exclusions:
4. Click Yes to allow access (This might require Administrator Access. In this case send this instruction to the customers IT responsible)
5. Click + Add on exclusion and select “Folder”
Go to C:\Window\Program Files and single click the M-Files folder. Then click Select Folder:
The list of exclusions should now look like this.
Please restart your computer after this is done.
If this does not help, then try to re-install M-Files.